There are a few ways to know when your AC filter needs to be replaced:
- Check the filter regularly. It is a good idea to replace your AC filter at least once a month if you are uncertain whether or not your filter needs to be changed. Even though a filter may not appear dirty, a light coating dust can build up on on the filter material. This may prevent other dust particles from sticking to the special coating found on filters. Any dust that makes its way past the filter can stick to your coil, which will eventually leading to build up reducing the efficincy of your equipment.
- Look for signs of dirt and dust. If your AC filter is covered in dirt and dust, it is a sign that it needs to be replaced more often.
- Pay attention to your airflow. If your airflow is reduced or return grills are making wind noise, it may be a sign that your AC filter is clogged and needs to be replaced.
- Listen for strange noises. If your AC unit is making strange noises, it may be a sign that the filter is clogged and needs to be replaced.
- If you have pets or allergies, you may need to replace the filter more often.
Here are some additional tips for replacing your AC filter:
- Buy the right filter. Make sure to buy the right filter for your AC unit. The filter should be the correct size and type for your system. Do not buy a filter that restricts too much air flow or a filter that is easy to see through. If you can see through it, dust can flow through it.
- Clean the filter area. When you replace the filter, take the opportunity to clean the filter area. This will help to prevent dirt and dust from building up and clogging the new filter.
Want to take the guess work out of filter changes? Air & Electrical Services can provide a filter change service for you. Contact us today for more information.